Thursday, July 27, 2006

fâr and 'balənst

couchWhen winding down after a long day of looting abandoned railroads and memorizing wikipedia, I always enjoy curling up in bed with a good dictionary. I generally prefer the Oxford American because of its oddly defeatist political example sentences and cheerful liberal bias.

For example, note the subtle bias in this example sentence:


Well that explains "democracy" perfectly. It's a synonym of "snowstorm", right?

What if I wanted another word for "conservative"?



And "liberal"?


Two more:




Oh those sassy brits! Stick it to those hidebound rednecks! Seriously though, in all fairness to the godless heathens at Oxford, I will add this:

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how boring, unfunny, and silly can any blog be! I'd rather read a foreign blog, whose writing I cannot understand, and, if I am lucky, stumble onto a cognate.

Horrible, awful, please stay at home. Alone. And away from your computer...

Alex said...

You won't rain on my parade, Mister Cloudy Day!

slayer rulez!!!! said...

you tell her Andrea!!

Sarah O. said...

Jesus loves everyone but you, anonymous. Okay, maybe he still loves you, but he's wrong.

Because, seriously? Who could ever be a full-on Alex hater?

Anonymous said...

hmmm, antelope shit. hey alex, you up for a suicide insieme. I mean I'm no full-on Alex hater. But that cunt Sarah O...

Ron Kagan said...

I think you meant to say mmmm antelope shit - it's juicy which, btw is a synonym for "people who call Sarah O. a cunt can't be allowed to have babies or breathe!" you italians... I'll get zidane on your ass.

Being ragamuffined, I may corroborate that here we do indeed think that the snowstorm is unlikely to take root in Iraq, that our prime minister's neck is turning hidebound and, unfortunately, people here believe that Bush is the one to be smoked out rather than Sheik Hassan Nasrallah - dumb hippies.

Andrea said...

C'mon, kiddies, play nice - it's just the dictionary! In all seriousness, I don't want to have to start censoring comments, but I will if readers start insulting each other. Please stick to insulting foreigners and celebutantes. thanks!

Anonymous said...

Right-O, dogface!